Friday, January 9, 2009

Mark McCarter Replies

A couple of points from Mark McCarter, Huntsville Times

-- No question that perception has far too much to do with college football and rankings than it should. Even if you do stay up late to watch Pac 10, what do you gain? Even you admitted that, on further review, it wasn't great QBs in the Big 12 as much as shoddy defenses.

I'd even suggest West Coast media has the wrong perception of SEC football (especially as they helped elevate Alabama much more quickly to a No. 1 spot than it deserved).

So we don't get our perception of the Pac 10 changed until a revelation in bowl games??? But I put little credence in bowl games. Too easy for 20-year-olds to lose interest in a four-week layout. (Exhibit A: The University of Alabama Crimson Tide, who escaped Saban's pressure for a few days and I think balked at coming back underneath it.)

Southern Cal got killed this year because of reputation. I wrote it in a preseason prediction column and most everybody else knew it and mentioned it, but the Men of Troy have that one nagging day every season when they lay an egg. Because of that habit, I think voters are less forgiving of a loss to whichever team it was with ugly uniforms USC lost to this year than even a home-field loss to Ole Miss.

When it comes to playoffs, etc., I hate to see the blame get thrown at the BCS as an entity. Maybe because I like Mike Slive a lot and think that Bill Hancock, one of the BCS officials, is one of the five nicest people in sport. It all lies at the feet of college presidents who don't want playoffs and college presidents enjoy flexing their muscle over coaches, some sort of Revenge of the Nerds sequel. And coaches, to some extent, forced the presidents' hands when they got too out of control years ago.

I think there's too much made of the SEC's non-conference schedule. And I'd like to see how it shakes out in the future. With that 12th game added, it was tough to schedule other power teams who had schedules locked in. See if that changes any time soon.

No question the SEC plays some wussy non-conference opponents. And if I were a season-ticket holder, I'd get ticked at having to see UT-Martin, Louisiana-Monroe and Tulane as part of my seven-game package.

But, a quick count here, SEC had 16 games vs. bowl teams out off 48 non-conference dates, and another six or eight against traditional bowl teams (Clemson, Louisville and some others).

I also have a soft spot for the UT-Chattanoogas and Middle Tennessees of the world, and I like to see them get their payday games. The more of those that take place, the more the mid-majors might ultimately build up their programs and level the field some more, and it gives some kids a chance to play on a big stage each year. I think each SEC team oughta balance the non-conference with two wusses and two good teams, like Florida does. It balances The Citadel and Goeriga Southern with Miami and Florida State.

I think I've written you this before, but what I hate most about college football (well, except for covering a 4-hour CBS game) is whining fans. I had to heard loud choruses of that in 2004. There are typically fewer teams whining now about being legitimately left out of a championship shot in this scenario than there would be about being left out of an 8-team playoff.

What I'd suggest to everyone is simply be patient. When the World Wide Leader takes over the BCS contract, stuff will happen. Alas, as with many things when the WWL takes over, it doesn't mean it will be the right thing, nor will it come with any subtlety at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment